I originally wrote it up to 153,000 words-which is huge. But I knew literary agents only read things under 100,000 words. And teen books were even less, so I started chopping it down, which also meant I had to rearrange the story line. This really bothered me because it still happened in my head, the way I originally had it.
But I got it down to 100,000.
I didn’t like it any more. It didn’t resemble anything I still had in my head. And the more query letters I sent off to agents, the more I realized I would not be happy if the book was picked up. I knew if an agent decided to represent me, they’ll want me to cut it down even more-and I already hated where it was. It might have been better, but it wouldn’t have been my story, and I wouldn’t be happy with it.
So I got a book from the library about self-editing fiction, and I put it back together. Deleted scenes I thought should be cut and began the process of self-editing. (this was an eye opener)
I learned what I needed to do to self-publish on the web and wa-la! This is where I am today.
If this sells then I’ll make a limited amount of paper books and see how those sell. If an agent or publisher tries to pick me up, (I say “tries” because it would have to be a sweet deal) then I’ll have paperback books. Only time will tell, but I am exploring options.
Amazon has a partner company that makes paper books, I'll check it out.